Candidate Name: Mike King
Office Seeking: Park District Board of Commissioners
Subdivision/Neighborhood: Maplebrook 1
Closest Park: Gartner Park
Occupation and/or Professional Training:
Manager of Operations Nicor Gas
MBA – Operational Leadership
How long in years have you been a Naperville resident? 47 years
Community Service on Boards and Commissions with dates served:
Naperville Park District April 2017 till present
KidsMatter Board Member
The following answers have only been edited for formatting purposes.
1. Why are you running to serve the Naperville Park District Board of Commissioners?
I am running for my second term for park commissioner because Naperville has given me so much, lifelong friends from school, sports, my father and I had a small real estate business for over 20+ years here in Naperville. I believe in giving back to our community that has given me so much.
2. What is the park district’s most pressing need?
Maintain our triple A bond rating and survey the residence on what services or facilities they want/need. Coming out of this pandemic we will need to evaluate our community needs and how we can serve them. Our staff has done a tremendous job and has been very innovative on the ways we serve the community now – I would like to see us build off of this innovation and listen to the people to deliver the best in class activities that Naperville is use to.
3. What’s the best way to engage the community while planning Capital Projects?
I believe the best way is to survey our residence find out what the wants/needs are, have open houses in person and virtual, engage with homeowner associations and invite the public to our meetings – which are open to the public now.
4. Name three park district policies that need review or immediate attention.
Maintain the districts triple A bond rating, survey the residence on their needs – has the pandemic changed how the residence want districts services (virtual) our staff has done an excellent job during the past year and should be recognized for their efforts.
5. How often are you in touch with members of the current park board? And do you attend/watch park board meetings live or after they’re saved in the archive?
I never miss them I am currently on the Board.
6. What up-and-coming City of Naperville development will impact park district funding/planning the most? As a board member, where would you look to make budget adjustments?
Any residential development will impact the district we would need to look at them on a case by case basis. I would look at our maintenance and capital budget to see if an adjustment would need to be made.
7. What’s the best way to communicate landscape changes such as the Park Meadow Plan to neighboring residents?
I would say informational mailers, email if we have them, contact the homeowners association and post signs.
8. What new use, if any, do you imagine for the facility known as the Riverwalk Café?
The Riverwalk café could be used as a warming house for winter activities. We could also promote local or school bands as I have enjoyed the acoustics nights at the café.
9. What’s your favorite Naperville Park District park or facility?
Knoch Park and Fort Hill activity center
10. When was the last time you read the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights?
It has been within the last year.
11. What recreational need is missing in Naperville that could be proposed/provided/funded by the Naperville Park District?
I would leave that answer up to the survey response from the residences of what recreational need is missing.
12. What’s the best way to address differences of opinion among board members or between the board and park district administration?
We have a good system now with board members meeting in committees with staff, staff reporting out to the board from those committees and board members providing monthly updates. I believe the system we have in place works well and should be a model moving forward.
13. Share a childhood memory that features a visit to a park! (Please include city and state)
Playing in the city 9 year old little league championship at Knoch Park in Naperville. I have great memories of that game and that team – lifelong friends.
Anything else you’d like to add?